31.1.12

POOP

Yes I titled this post simply POOP. That is because if you are the parent of a LO then you know the amount of time spent smelling, charting, looking at and cleaning up poop. One thing I began to wonder when I first brought home my LO from the hospital was what are the "seeds" in "seedy poop"?


First off, if you choose to breast-feed then you probably know that one of the signs of a healthy baby is a healthy looking poop. One of the common healthy poop patterns is what is called a "seedy poop". This is usually a stool that is yellow or mustard colored with white "seeds" in it. One day I began thinking about the fact that there are no seeds going in, so why are there "seeds" coming out? Clearly I needed to investigate.


I googled "poop" (trust me don't do this) and a plethora of images I DID NOT want to see came up. Then I refined my search to "seedy baby poop". Again more gross images! Finally I tried "why does my baby's poop have seeds in it". Eureka! A great site with  just the answer I was looking for. A site called Livestrong had an article about all of the stages of baby poop. It turns out that the seed looking things in my baby's diaper were actually milk curds. Makes total sense right? I guess since a newborn's digestive system is so underdeveloped, they cannot properly digest and use all of the milk they take in. Over time these seeds disappear as the baby's digestive system matures. My curiosity was satisfied and so I went on to read about other types of healthy poop and how baby poop progresses over time....riveting huh? Well if you are as curious as I am click here to read the full Livestrong article and ENJOY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment